Alicia Keys did better with playing the keys than she did at singing The Anthem. It was just kind of meh. She sounded a bit hoarse and occasionally out of key. She was decidedly flat as she attempted to hit the high notes and opted for a lower note at one point. Simon Cowell would say, "It's a bit pitchy." This is a disappointment, though her piano skills are excellent.
It's hard to say what happened, but it is noteable that it happened. Considering that she does play piano, it begs the question as to why she did not pick a more flattering key for herself. Keys was the one controlling the entire performance. Despite the problems, many tweeted their support of her.
As sweet as they are, and wonderful as amazing as Jennifer Hudson is, as talented as Alicia Keys is; many really want to know why singers, in the name of "style"
- take a breath in the middle of a phrase where there is no comma. Keys sang her own melody "Through broad stripes and bright (breath) stars."
- take a breath in the middle of a word. "O beau(breath)tiful for spa(breath)cious skies."
- change the melody greatly as it just shows they aren't up to the demands of the song.
Lastly, many would like to know why singers of such high caliber try to make their way through an important solo while hoarse or otherwise compromised instead of giving the spot to someone who can really do it justice. Beyonce finally admitted to lip-synching. Singing it a capella another day didn't do justice to not singing it the day of the Inauguration.
It's true that the LA Rock Examiner can be a bit of a snob about our National Anthem. Both the songs in the pregame show have actual punctuation marks in the sentence where they actually make sense. There really are singers who have sung the "Star Spangled Banner" in a manner which is vocally pleasant and truly celebratory. This just wasn't one of those times.
- The Superbowl of Singing - Kelly Clarkson nails it
- Beyonce's Superbowl Half-Time Show with Destiny's Child, she did sing sometimes
- Madonna's Superbowl Slackliner upstager introduces the sport to a wide audience
- Christina Aguilera's National Anthem, Fergie of Black Eyed Peas defends her
- Christina Aguilera's National Anthem snafu, do you know the words?
- One-upping Beyonce's lip-synch: Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman pantomined in 2009 (Photos)
- Yes, Beyonce lip-synched The National Anthem, so what?
Can you do better?