There is one thing we all have in common when we're sitting in front of the television going braindead. We all become neanderthals and regress to wanting to eat with our hands (which hopefully are clean). We also like to indulge all points of our tastebuds, meaning we want sweet, salty and acidic. Since I cannot come up with any ideas for pickled sabertooth or dinosaur al fresco, how about some crunchy spears of asparagus wrapped in bacon and drizzled with a rasperberry vinaigrette.
By the way, if you get tired of watching the Super Bowl, this wonderful little venture into gourmet cuisine also goes well with porn so... ENJOY!
Ingredients needed to make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus:
- 1 pound asparagus
- Bacon, thinly sliced and one slice per two spears of asparagus
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Rasperberry vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 3 minutes (this is called par-boiling). Remove the asparagus and place in a bowl of ice water.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half.
- Wrap a half of a slice of bacon around each asparagus stalk and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the wrapped asparagus on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side (or to your desired doneness).
- Place the wrapped asparagus on a serving platter. Sprinkle the cheese over the wrapped asparagus.
- In a small bowl whisk together the rasperberry vinegar and olive oil (amounts depend on what you want).
- Spoon the raspberry vinaigrette over the wrapped asparagus and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."