It’s always fun to have Super Bowl XLVIII trivia handy for family and friends to show off their knowledge of football statistics! Super Bowl Sunday has been a pinnacle social sporting event that dates back to the 1960’s.
Have some fun with these Super Bowl trivia questions by cutting them out and placing them in a team bucket or small cooler. Have a bell by the bucket and tell your buddies to ring the bell when they want to challenge someone else with their pigskin knowledge; or simply ring the bell and whoever is closest to the bucket gets to read a Super Bowl trivia question.
In honor of Super Bowl XLVIII, here are 48 random Super Bowl trivia questions and answers:
- Who sang the National Anthem at Super Bowl XXXIII? Cher
- What city hosted the first Super Bowl north of the Mason/Dixon line? Detroit
- Which television network carried Super Bowl XXIX? ABC
- Name the team that appeared in every Super Bowl from 1991-1994? The Buffalo Bills
- Which team was first awarded the Vince Lombardi trophy? The Super Bowl trophy is named for Vince Lombardi, the legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers, who won the first two Super Bowl games. After his passing in 1970, the trophy was named the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and was first awarded as such to the Baltimore Colts in Miami for Super Bowl V.
- What player holds the record for most career fumbles in a Super Bowl? Roger Staubach coughed up the ball five times in four Super Bowl appearances.
- Three individuals appeared in Super Bowls as a player, an assistant coach, and then a head coach, who are they? Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka and Tony Dungy
- What player holds the record for most consecutive completions in a Super Bowl? Joe Montana completed a Super Bowl record 13 consecutive passes, in Super Bowl XXIV.
- Which was the first Super Bowl to be designated by the Roman numerals we know today? Super Bowl III was the first to use Roman numerals. Super Bowls I and II were not known as such until the game's third year. Super Bowl’s I and II were originally named "The AFL-NFL World Championship Game" at the time they were played.
- Who was the very first Super Bowl MVP? Bart Starr, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, winners of Super Bowls I and II. Bart was also the MVP of Super Bowl II.
- Who is the only coach to lose a Super Bowl with two different teams without winning once with either team? Dan Reeves lost as coach of the Broncos and Falcons.
- Four other coaches have taken two different teams to the Super Bowl but have won at least once with one of the teams: Don Shula, (Colts and Dolphins), Bill Parcells, (Giants and Patriots), Mike Holmgren, (Packers and Seahawks), and Dick Vermeil (Eagles and Rams).
- Which was the only Super Bowl broadcast simultaneously by two different networks? Super Bowl I was broadcast by CBS and NBC simultaneously.
- Who was the Oakland Raiders first ever Super Bowl MVP? Fred Biletnikoff in Super Bowl XI.
- Who was the first wide receiver to be named Super Bowl MVP? Lynn Swann in Super Bowl X.
- Which quarterback holds the highest single game passer rating in a Super Bowl? Phil Simms of the New York Giants completed 22 of 25 passes for a rating of 150.9 on January 25, 1987 in Super Bowl XXI.
- How many people attended Super Bowl 1? 61,946
- How much money did a player on the winning Super Bowl team earn in 1970? $15,000
- Which current AFC team was the first to win a Super Bowl? The New York Jets
- In Super Bowl XLII, this player made one of the most incredible catches in Super Bowl history by pinning the ball against his helmet as he fell. Name him. David Tyree of the New York Giants.
- As of February 2010, only one NFL team with more than one Super Bowl win is still undefeated in Super Bowl play. Name that team. The San Francisco 49ers are 5 and 0.
- Which Super Bowl winning quarterback attempted the fewest passes in a single Super Bowl game? In Super Bowl VIII, Bob Griese attempted 7 passes completing six, in the Miami Dolphin's victory over the Minnesota Vikings.
- As of February 2010, four current NFL teams have never played in a Super Bowl? Name any three of them. The Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars and Detroit Lions have never played in a Super Bowl.
- Which team won by the most lopsided score in Super Bowl history? The San Francisco 49ers beat the Denver Broncos 55-10 on Jan. 28, 1990 in Super Bowl XXIV.
- Who is credited with naming the Super Bowl? During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed championship as the "Super Bowl". Mr. Hunt thought of the name because he had recently seen his children playing with a toy called a Super Ball.
- Only one Super Bowl had co-MVPs that were both on the defensive side of the ball. Name the team, the Super Bowl and the two MVPs. Randy White and Harvey Martin of the Dallas Cowboys on January 15, 1978 in Super Bowl XII
- Name the first defensive back to win Super Bowl MVP honors. Jake Scott, safety for the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VII.
- Who was the first kick returner to be named Super Bowl MVP? Desmond Howard, of the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XXXI.
- As of February 2010, two teams have lost four Super Bowls each without ever winning one. Name them. The Minnesota Vikings and the Buffalo Bills
- Through the first 43 Super Bowls, only one player has recorded 3 sacks in a single Super Bowl. Name him. Reggie White in Super Bowl XXXI.
- Which player has won the most Super Bowl MVP awards? Joe Montana of the San Francisco 49ers has won it three times.
- Which team has played in four Super Bowls but has never led at any point during the game? –The Minnesota Vikings
- What is the name of the trophy for the winner of the Super Bowl? –The Vince Lombardi Trophy
- Which player has won the Super Bowl MVP three times? –Joe Montana
- If the Super Bowl is the 2nd most watched sporting event, what is the most watched sporting event every year? –Soccer Champions League Final
- What company pays the MVP of the Super Bowl every year to sponsor their business? –Disneyland
- Which team was the first team to win 5 Super Bowls? –The Pittsburg Steelers
- Which team won the first Super Bowl? –The Green Bay Packers
- How many father and son combos have made it to the Super Bowl? Five: Julius & Keith Adams, Frank & Frank C Cornish, Tony & Anthony Dorsett, Bob & Brian Griese, and Manu & Marques Tuiasosopo
- Which team turned the ball over the greatest number of times in a single game? Buffalo Bills, New England turned the ball over 6 times losing to the Bears in Super Bowl XX
- Which company started their six-year Super Bowl ad run with the “When I Grow Up” ad campaign? Monster.com
- In 2006, how much did it cost for a 30-second commercial? $2.5 million
- In 2014, how much will it cost for a 30-second commercial? $4 million
- True or False: No network footage exists of Super Bowl I. True, legend has it that it was taped over for a soap opera
- Who was the first African American coach to win a Super Bowl? Tony Dungy with the Colts’ victory over the Bears, in 2007.
- Out of the 32 NFL teams, how many teams have made it to the Super Bowl? 23 total. 13 from AFC and 10 from NFC
- Which Super Bowl was the first to be played in the Rose Bowl? Super Bowl XI
- What year did Dallas make their first Super Bowl appearance? 1971
Those are some great Super Bowl trivia questions for your whole family! Need something to keep the kids occupied if they don’t really care about Super Bowl XLVIII trivia questions? Well, you can always printout these great free Mardi Gras coloring pages, Valentine’s Day coloring pages, or winter coloring pages to keep them entertained!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!