Yes, it is possible to buy Super Bowl tickets directly from the NFL. Your chances are slim, but every year the NFL distributes approximately 500 pairs of tickets to fans through an annual Super Bowl random drawing. Although many people refer to it as a lottery there is no charge to enter and if you are chosen you will have the opportunity to buy a pair of SuperBowl tickets at face value—typically about $500 each.
The majority of Super Bowl tickets—about 75%—are distributed to the NFL teams with each of the participating teams splitting approximately 35% of all Super Bowl tickets. All teams not playing in the Super Bowl will receive just over 1%, and the team hosting the Super Bowl receives about 9% of the Super Bowl tickets. The remaining 25% of SuperBowl tickets are controlled by the NFL and are distributed primarily to NFL affiliated companies, the network broadcasting the Super Bowl, corporate sponsors, media, VIPs, charities, fans and the Host Committee to package with sponsorships.
If you are interested in taking your chances with the annual Super Bowl random drawing, the NFL’s only method of selling Super Bowl tickets to the general public, you must follow the NFL’s guidelines exactly. Requests for the random drawing are accepted between February 1st and June 1st of each year preceding the game and all Super Bowl ticket requests must be sent via certified or registered mail to:
If you do want to enter the lottery, here's the info, straight from the NFL)
Entries for the random drawing are accepted between Feb. 1 and June 1 of the year preceding the game in question. All ticket requests must be sent via certified or registered mail. Those selected in the random drawing will have the opportunity to purchase two tickets.
Requests should be sent to:
Super Bowl Random Drawing
P.O. Box 49140
Strongsville, OH 44149-0140
Please note that only one request per address is accepted. All duplicate requests will be disregarded.
Suggestions for increasing your chances;
1. Make sure to request two SuperBowl tickets to the Super Bowl that you wish to attend.
2. Send your Super Bowl ticket request via certified mail.
3. Be sure to include your full name, address and phone number.
4. Type your Super Bowl ticket request. You would hate to miss out because your penmanship is poor.
5. Remember that duplicate requests will be discarded, but there is no rule against entering all of your friends and family in the Super Bowl ticket random drawing.
6. Review the NFL’s instructions for entering the drawing at http://www.nfl.com/help/faq.