Super Bowl Sunday is fast approaching. Some people watch for the commercials, some for the half time show, and some probably even watch the football part of it, but for a lot of folks it’s less about the actual game than it is about having an excuse to eat a bunch of food and hang out with family and friends.
Most seem to concentrate on the savory side of tailgating food; chili, wings, nachos, dips, etc. and while all those foods are amazing it’s nice to cap off the meal with a little something sweet. Sugar cookies fit the bill just perfectly and the decorating possibilities are endless.
You could make footballs (like the attached picture), jerseys, helmets, stadiums, or team logos. You could also make a few different types and make a cookie platter that is sure to get everyone’s attention no matter which team they are cheering for.
To make cookies like the ones pictured use your favorite roll-out sugar cookie dough and decorate with royal icing.
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 tablespoons non oil-based extract of choice
- Water to thin to desired piping consistency
1. In bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment combine powdered sugar and meringue powder on lowest setting.
2. While mixer is running add extract.
3. Add water and increase speed to medium and then to high. Icing should be the consistency of warm pudding when it’s finished.
4. Cover with plastic wrap sitting on the surface so it does not dry out.
5. Color and use to decorate cookies.