Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!
February 2nd is the date set for Super Bowl XLVIII and the clash of the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks out at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. The matchup should be one for the books as Mother Nature may have some surprises for game time with the Artic Vortex hovering around the Northeast lately. The game should be a good one, the commercial ads are always a special treat and if you enjoy music check out the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars at halftime.
However, it is that time of the year when friends begin to question your plans for the Super Bowl party that inevitably invades your man cave:
- What on the menu?
- What type of drinks at the bar?
- Should we bring anything?
- Are you buying that 70” Flat Screen?
- Does Seattle have a chance?
Maybe you’ve already started constructing your ‘Table Top Mock Stadium’ to hold the 10 lbs CostCo bag of nachos and the 2 gallon tub of guacamole dip. Or maybe you’ve gone and purchased that new garbage can lid that will hold the 15 lbs of boiled crawfish. Or maybe you’ve even gone out on a limb and are going to try and smoke 20 lbs of pork butt in this frigid Michigan temperature.
Whichever course of insanity you’ve chosen the best bit of advice anyone can give you is to be sure you are prepared!
So, here is your Super Bowl Survival List:
Football shaped foods
Buffalo Chicken Dip
And last but not least…
Bacon wrapped Everything
If one or any of these ideas don’t make it to your Super Bowl Party Table, you sir, are doing it WRONG! These are sure to please crowd favorites and easily made for the buffet spread.
But, to ensure the party is a complete success:
- Load up with the essentials and then worry about the fine tuning closer to the party. Nothing worse than making a huge pot of chili and forgetting to buy bowls!
- Use the game as you theme. Footballs, goal posts, NFL Team Logos, helmets and maybe even go buy a chalk board for your gambling squares!
- Load up the MP3 player, make a cassette tape, or even go and open Pandora to Rock Anthems! You need music in the background to tame the wild beasts tromping through your house for those 4 wonderful hours.
- And be sure there is plenty of ice and cups for the keg or mixed drinks and don’t forget the cups!
Most importantly, have a cab company number near the door or ensure a designated driver gets your friends home safe.
Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em and don’t forget your bib.