If you have never experienced the taste of candied bacon, you are in for one very special treat. To take this taste treat to the extreme, Chef Larry Edwards has added his famed Southwestern touch. Simply put -- this is bacon like you have never tasted before!
This is also bacon like you have never prepared before. It is easy, decently quick (only 30 minutes to make) and sinfully scrumptious.
Ingredients needed to make Southwest Candied Bacon (makes 1 pound):
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (do not use a silicon sheet or foil).
- Separate the bacon into slices and set on a flat surface.
- In a bowl combine the brown sugar and chili powder.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar/chili powder mixture over both sides of the bacon. Let the bacon rest 5 minutes.
- Place the bacon, in a single layer, onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place a sheet of foil over the bacon.
- Place another baking sheet over the foil (yes, it will be sitting on the bacon).
- Place in the oven and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Carefully remove the bacon from the pan and let sit at least 10 minutes before eating.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."