There are a few people who actually watch the football game on Super Sunday. For the majority of people, however, it is a time to totally pig-out, swill some suds and the one day a year where commercials are actually worth watching.
Considering it is the Super Bowl and you'll be sucking up the suds in record numbers, you might as well eat a few cans/bottles too! Here you have something sweet and dessert-like to go along with the chicken wings, ribs, chips and whatever else you're slapping between your lips.
Have no fear, Beer Cake is very simple to make. The only problem you may encounter is running out of beer before you begin to make the cake!
Ingredients for Beer Cake (makes one 8-inch cake):
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated (meaning separate the yolks from the whites)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup flat beer (beer with no carbonation aka bubbles)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks until fully combined.
- Into the bowl stir in the flour and beer to form a batter.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan 10 minutes before removing it.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.