It’s almost time for the big game and the big party that goes along with it. Whatever food you plan on servings, be it just snacks or a meal, you want food that is easy to prepared and full of flavor, Chef Sean Cummings from Oklahoma City has a solution – gourmet Sloppy Joes.
What makes these sandwiches gourmet is the addition of ingredients that might not normally go into this nostalgic, kid-friendly sandwich. A combination of ground beef and veal, red bell peppers and mushrooms take these to the next level.
Besides serving these on buns, here are a few creative ideas for your Super Bowl party:
- Spoon filling into mini phyllo cups and garnish as desired
- Turn into Sloppy Joses by spooning filling onto empanada dough, folding and baking until golden brown.
- Turn into Sloppy Giuseppes by spooning filling onto pizza dough and making pizza pockets.
- Make sliders by using miniature buns
- Turn them into Sloppy Melts by adding a slice of favorite cheese and broiling just until cheese melts.
Chef Sean’s Gourmet Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning (Daddy Hinkle’s)
- 1 pound ground round
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1(15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 4-6 bakery buns, split
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, red bell pepper, steak seasoning, beef and veal. Cook until meat is cook through, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute or two until fragrant.
Add Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar and tomato sauce. Cook until mixture has thickened up and is desired consistency.
Serve on buns or use one of the above suggestions.
Makes 4-6 servings