The 4th of July is upon us again and like so many, BBQ’s will be a favorite for families across the nation. For many, there will be the basics of any family fare, hot dogs, hamburgers and corn on the cob. Well if you are looking for a few new ideas to spice up the family fare, why not add a dish of seafood? Shrimp, crabs and many types of fish cook quickly on the grill. Grilling fish is quick, easy and a great new twist on your usual dinner. When grilling fish, non-stick tin foil is a great way to cook the fish. Placing the slice of fish on the tin foil then adding seasonings, olive oil or lemon, then folding the foil to cover the fish loosely will ensure a moist meal.
Another lovely way to serve seafood is by creating a kabob. There are a variety of types of kabob sticks, those made of wood work best if soaked in water for about a half hour before cooking. Interlocking pieces of shrimp with peppers, zucchini, sliced eggplant or mushrooms can really bring your dinner to life. Served over a bed of rice and wow, what a meal.
Here’s a quick way to cook shrimp on a kabob and oh is it tasty. Feel free to substitute southwestern seasonings with your favorite crab seasonings such as Old Bay.
1. 1 and ½ teaspoons olive oil
2. 1 and ½ tablespoons Southwestern seasonings such as Tastefully Simple
3. 3 teaspoons of brown sugar
4. 1 and ½ pounds of shrimp that has been cleaned, deveined and shells removed.
5. Kabob sticks that have been soaked or metal skewers
1. Mix oil, Seasonings and brown sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add shrimp; toss to coat well. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
2. 2. Grill over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes per side or just until shrimp turn pink.
3. Try serving the shrimp over rice or let the shrimp cool and serve with salad.