There are those who believe the official start of Summer is Memorial Day. There are those who believe the official start is when the first coals in the barbecue turn to embers. There are even some warped minds who believe Summer doesn't start until their skin blisters with a sunburn. They are all wrong! The official start of Summer is when the first spoonful of peach ice cream parts your lips and coats your tongue! So... ladies, gentlemen and those undecided, I welcome you to Summer!
Let's be honest, if the only peach ice cream you have ever tasted is the chemically induced poison you buy at the supermarket, you have never had peach ice cream. You have had peach flavored ice cream combined with air, gummy goop and stuff from a laboratory to keep it from going biologically bad. That's not ice cream, that is a scientific experiment!
This version of Peach Ice Cream is a little different from others you have made (and I do hope you make your own ice cream) as with this version I wanted to make it very southern and have added pecans but not just any old pecans -- glazed pecans! Yes, this ice cream has some crunch!
So... get out the swimsuits, slather the spawns in sunscreen and start blasting some Jimmy Buffett 'cuz it is officially Summer with Peach Ice Cream with Glazed Pecans!
Ingredients needed to make Peach Ice Cream with Glazed Pecans (makes about 4 cups):
- 4 peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Place your peaches into a food processor and puree. Spoon the puree into a bowl and set aside.
- Into a saucepan over medium heat, whisk the heavy cream, milk and sugar until the sugar has dissolved (do not let it come to a simmer or boil).
- Pour the cream mixture into a large bowl and whisk in the pureed peaches, salt and lemon juice.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine and churn 20 minutes before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."