***WARNING: THIS DISH DOES CONTAIN ALCOHOL***
When it is Summer, it is peach season. There is nothing quite like the sweetness of freshly harvested peaches. If the only peaches you have ever eaten are those gold-colored globes from a can which are soaked in some ungodly syrup, you have never tasted a peach. Along with emergence of peaches comes another great Summer treat, desserts featuring peaches!
Is there really anything more scrumptious that biting into a wonderfully rich cake which is topped with brandy caramelized peaches? Apparently for many the answer is no as this classic dessert is among the favorites of many American's and is rapidly gaining popularity across Europe as well.
Not only is this a very easy dish to make at home, it is also quite fun. As with any of the varieties of "Upside-Down" cakes, you basically prepare this backwards. When baking, the bottom becomes the top when served! The taste of this cake is multiplied quite a bit as the peaches are caramelized by using both brown sugar and brandy. You can also substitute whiskey or bourbon for the brandy.
Ingredients needed to make Brandy Peach Upside-Down Cake (makes 1 cake):
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brandy
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 6 peaches, peeled, pitted and quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk ½ cup butter and sugar until pale. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Whisk in the brandy.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet (cast iron if you want to be authentic) melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place the peaches in the pan and cook 3 minutes per side. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the batter over the peaches.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, invert onto a serving plate and let cool before slicing and serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."