In the Phoenix Healthy Food Examiner’s Easter holiday edition, contributor and reader Madeleine H., shared an amazing spring holiday dessert recipe by Zulka Morena Sugar.
Zulka is unrefined sugar harvested from the sugar cane plant and is not processed like white granulated sugar. Therefore, Zulka Morena Sugar can be used in just about any recipe without the guilt. Learn more about Zulka Morena Sugar here: http://zulka.com/our-story/.
Strawberry, Coconut and Blueberry Popsicles
• 1 cup strawberry puree, cold
• 1 cup coconut milk, cold
• 1 cup blueberry puree, cold
• ½ cup Zulka Morena Sugar
• ½ cup water
Directions: Make the simple syrup
Bring water and Zulka Morena Sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved and let cool.
Instructions: Make popsicles
1. Add 1 tablespoon of simple syrup to each of the purees and coconut milk. Stir well. The purees can be made using either fresh or frozen berries.
2. Using a 10 space popsicle mold, fill 1/3 of the way with the strawberry puree. Place the lid on and stick the popsicle sticks in, leaving them sticking out about 1/2 inch above the top. Let freeze 40-50 min or until somewhat firm.
3. Carefully remove the lid and fill another third of the way with the coconut milk mixture. Replace the lid making sure all of the popsicle sticks are in place, freeze another 40-50 min.
4. Carefully remove the lid and divide the blueberry puree mixture amongst the popsicle molds and replace the lid. Freeze at least 8 hours or up to overnight to freeze completely.
5. To remove the popsicles, gently run cool water over the sides of the them and carefully loosen each one by gently pulling on the popsicle stick. Remove all the popsicles and wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer baggie, or serve immediately.
Feel free to use any other type of fruit: peaches, cranberries, pomegranate, oranges, tangerines,
pineapples etc. Get more recipe information from Zulka Morena Sugar by visiting Zulka.com.
Holiday topic contributor: Madeleine H.
Contributed recipe and photo images: Zulka Morena Sugar