Watermelon is a sweet summer produce that is in abundance this time of year. It is naturally sweet and can be prepared and eaten in many ways. One tasty recipe to incorporated watermelon is to create a watermelon margarita. This ice-cold cocktail is just one way to enjoy the freshness of watermelon and a summer refreshing drink to cool down those hot days. This drink has both sweetness to it and is complimented with tanginess from the lime juice that makes it the perfect blend. Stir up a batch for the next summer party or for a weekend when you just want to enjoy a drink that is different from the usual choices served.
- 3 ½ cups of cubed and seeded watermelon
- ½ cup of tequila
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of orange flavored liqueur
Preparing margarita glasses:
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 lime wedge
- Watermelon wedge
- Watermelon balls
- Lime wedge
Directions to prepare margarita glasses:
- Wet the rim of each margarita glass with the lime wedge.
- Place two teaspoons of sugar in a small shallow bowl and dip the top of the glass in so the sugar will adhere to the lime juice giving each glass a sugar trimmed look and a sweet first sip when enjoying the cocktail.
Directions for margarita:
- In a blender combine the watermelon, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur and 2 tablespoons of sugar together until smooth.
- Fill each margarita glass half with crushed ice and then fill with the margarita mixture.
- Garnish each cocktail with a watermelon wedge, watermelon balls or a lime wedge, if desired.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved