Today’s recipe feature is Summer Fruit Crisp. This recipe calls for cherries, but you may use any stone fruit (peaches or plums). The fruit mixes with a bit of citrus, sugar and corn starch and is covered with a wonderful oat topping. In about one hour, you will enjoy the fruits of the season and have a fantastic dessert at the same time. Healthy and joyous eating!
Summer Fruit Crisp (Recipe courtesy Alison Roman)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free variety, if needed)
- ¼ cup (packed) light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, divided (gluten-free variety, if needed)
- ½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 8 cups sliced stone fruit, berries, or pitted cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, lime, or orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon, lime, or orange juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
Pulse flour, brown sugar, salt, and ¾ cup oats in a food processor to blend. Pulse in butter until no dry spots remain. Transfer to a bowl and work in remaining ¼ cup oats with your fingers.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss fruit with sugar, cornstarch, zest, juice, and salt.
Transfer mixture to a 1½-qt. baking dish. Scatter oat topping over, place on a baking sheet, and bake until fruit juices are bubbling and topping is golden brown, 60–70 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 1 hour. Serves 8.
Calories (kcal) 320 Fat (g) 12 Saturated Fat (g) 7 Cholesterol (mg) 30 Carbohydrates (g) 54 Dietary Fiber (g) 3 Total Sugars (g) 40 Protein (g) 3 Sodium (mg) 150