Summer is here and many Bangor area children are spending a lot of time at home. Crafting is a good way to keep children busy while they are on vacation from school. The following sun magnet is a fun craft for children to make.
Children may already have a lot of the materials that are needed to make this craft. If some of the supplies aren’t available, they can be purchased at Bangor Super Wal-Mart. The following materials are needed to make a sun magnet.
Orange craft foam
Yellow craft foam
Black pen or marker
Craft foam sun magnets are an easy craft for children to make. Small children may need help while cutting out the sun pieces. The following are the directions for making this craft:
- Use the scissors to cut the sun shape from the template page.
- Place the sun cutout onto the orange craft foam. Use the pen or marker to trace the sun onto the craft foam. Cut the sun shape from the orange foam. Turn the orange sun over so that the pen lines can’t be seen. Set the shape aside.
- Use the scissors to cut the circle shape from the sun template. Place the circle onto the yellow craft foam. Trace the circle onto the yellow foam by using the pen or marker. Cut the circle from the yellow craft foam.
- Put glue on the pen lined side of the yellow circle. Glue the circle to the center of the orange foam sun. Glue two googly eyes onto the yellow circle where they eyes should go. Let all of the glue dry.
- Use the pen or marker to draw a nose and a mouth onto the suns face.
- Cut an inch piece of magnet tape. Remove the adhesive covering form the tape. Glue the tape to the back of the craft foam sun. Let the glue dry.
- Hang the magnet on the refrigerator.
Note: For faster glue drying a hot glue gun and glue sticks can be used. Children should be supervised or have their parents help while using the glue gun because the glue is very hot and can cause burns.