So you picked up your CSA box this week and what did you find? If you found kohlrabi and beets, the first thing you probably asked was "what's this alien plant thingie"? Then, after you found out what the funky green bulb was, you wondered what the heck to do with it.
Well, this soup is a fantastic light and creamy way to cook up the beets and kohlrabi. With a splash of cream and a sprig of parsley, along with some homemade croutons, you've got yourself a healthy dinner. Just don't wear your favorite white shirt if you think you might dribble!
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, thin crescents
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium beets, peeled and diced
- 1 large kohlrabi bulb, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, thin quarter rounds
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (pick this up at Trader Joe's) plus 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups unsweetened hemp, almond, or soy milk (can use whole milk if you're not going vegan)
Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and dash of salt and saute until clear, then add garlic and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables in the order listed and saute for 1 to 2 minutes each. Add the broth and water with a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Blend the soup with a hand blender and then slowly stir in the milk.
Makes about 10 2-cup servings.
Nutritional Info (per serving)
Calories: 60; Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 145mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein: 2g
To make croutons, roughly chop up the stale bread you have on hand into 1 inch chunks (sourdough is pictured here). Toss with olive oil and rosemary or oregano. Spread the chunks on a cookie tray and put in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or until evenly toasted.
- Trader Joe's Atlanta; 931 Monroe Drive, Atlanta, GA 30308; 404.815.9210; hours 8am-10pm
- Trader Joe's Buckhead; 3183 Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30305; 404.842.0907; hours 8am-9pm
- Trader Joe's Sandy Springs; 6277 Roswell Road NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328; 404-236-2414; hours 8am-9pm