Summer is nearly here, and Orange County kids are likely more than ready to wrap up their school years and have a break. In preparation for summer, it may be fun to celebrate with a few good books. Here, in this multi-part write-up, you will find a list of book titles to help with your book selection process, Each of the books listed can be checked out at a branch of the Orange County Public Library. It bears mentioning that books can be transferred between branches of the library system. If you see that a book you would like to check out is unavailable at your nearest library location, request a transfer. This is usually a rather quick process, and the cost is around twenty-five cents.
5 summer theme books for young kids
- Hooray for summer by Kazuo Iwamura is about three squirrels, Mick, Mack, and Molly, who are caught up inside waiting out a summer storm. While waiting out the heavy rains could be boring, these three make some new friends.
- Mama, is it summer yet? by Nikki McClure is a cute picture book about the fun that can be had outdoors with the ones you love.
- It’s summer, dear dragon by Margaret Hillert is a book about summer fun for beginning readers.
- Carl’s summer vacation by Alexandra Day is about Carl and Madeleine and their adventure checking out the exciting things that they can do at their family’s summer lake house.
- Summer is summer by Phillis Gershator is an adorable picture book that explores the fun of summer. The artwork in this book is great, and kids are likely to love it.