The 2013 Eastern Standup Paddle Surfing Competition, or "ESSC", takes place on the east coast of Florida and is presented by "Riding His Waters" Paddleboarding, benefiting the "Ride Nature Organization". The schedule is as follows:
- April 27 and 28 - Juno Beach Pier, FL - Ocean Fest
- July 13 and 14 - Daytona Beach, FL
- August 24 - Indialantic, FL
- September - Stuart Public Beach, FL
- October - Cocoa Beach, FL
On Saturday, August 24, the third stop on the Eastern SUP Surf Circuit will take place in Nance Park, Indialantic. The event will start at 8 a.m. and conclude about 10 a.m. Interested parties may get more information by calling 321-720-1559.
Labor Day Weekend Surf Festival
The National Kidney Foundation Rich Salick Pro/Am Surf Festival will take place over Labor Day weekend. This event attracts huge crowds and famous faces yearly. It is as much a fund-raiser as it is a surf competition and during the weekend interested surf fans can either learn how to surf or improve their skills.
The Pro-Am Surfing Program revolves around the story of Richard Salick. Richard along with his brother Phil, both surfing professionals, founded the Cocoa Beach Surfing Festival twenty seven years ago as a way to help raise funds to fight kidney disease and help dialysis patients. Richard fought kidney disease bravely until 2012, when it finally took his life.
The first surfing festival took place in 1976 and has been held every year since. The event has raised over four million dollars for Florida NKF patient programs. It is the largest charitable surfing festival in the world.
The following schedule has been announced by the organizers:
- Fri. Aug 30 - There will be a registration party at Oh Shucks on the Cocoa Beach Pier from 6 - 10 p.m.
- Sat Aug 31 and Sun, Sept 1 - Competition begins at 8:00 a.m. The Ron Jon Surf School will also be open for business from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Live bands join the fun at noon and of course, the inevitable bikini contest at 3 p.m.
- Mon Sept 2 - 8a.m pro-am surf contest finals will be held from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Ron Jons Surf School will be open, and there will be live bands starting at 11 a.m.. Awards will take place at 4 p.m. - AND another bikini contest at 3 p.m.