Suffolk County police arrested 37 people Sunday after receiving dozens of 911 calls that reported a large group of motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles were driving erratically, an agency news release said.
The Oct. 27 incident spurred more than a dozen 911 calls between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. reporting several motorcycles, dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles were driving recklessly on Main Street in Bay Shore, cops said. Additional calls reported the group driving erratically on Sunrise Highway in West Islip and on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon.
Police reported the following arrests:
- Samuel Morales, 19, of Brooklyn, was arrested after he was allegedly operating a 2003 Ducati motorcycle without a motorcycle license, cops said. He was also charged with reckless driving and resisting arrest. Authorities said he observed passing other motorists on the right shoulder and going through a red light on Pine Aire Drive in Bay Shore. He eventually fell off his motorcycle and tried to flee the scene before resisting arrest, police said.
- Jason Coleman, 29, of Yonkers, was nabbed by cops on Pine Aire Drive in Brentwood on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident. Police said he made an illegal U-turn in front of a 2004 Toyota sedan and was struck by the vehicle. Coleman allegedly continued driving his 2009 Yamaha motorcycle without exchanging information with the other driver, a police news release said. The driver of the Toyota was not injured.
- Tikret Cekic, 23, of Brooklyn, was charged with unlawful fleeing of a police officer after he allegedly tried to flee police by speeding through a red light on Pine Aire Drive in Bay Shore, authorities said.
- Joel Hernandez, 19, of Brentwood, faces fourth-degree criminal mischief and reckless driving charges after he allegedly backed into a police car on Pine Aire Drive in Bay Shore. Police said the officers inside the patrol car were not injured.
- Thomas Palacios, 35, of Bay Shore, was arrested on drunken driving charges. Police said he was driving under the influence of alcohol on an all-terrain vehicle along Pine Aire Drive near Washington Avenue in Bay Shore.
- Matthew Valentino, 25, of East Quogue, was busted on reckless driving charges after police said he was driving recklessly on Udall Road in Baywood. Officials said he was traveling at a high rate of speed and swerving between oncoming traffic. Authorities other vehicles were forced to swerve off the road to avoid hitting him.
- An unidentified female passenger on one of the motorcycles was arrested on a charge of second-degree obstructing governmental administration after she allegedly attempted to flee when directed to stop.
The 30 other people were issued field appearance tickets on trespassing charges. Cops said they were illegally gathered behind the county’s Social Services building on South Second Street in Bay Shore.
Four motorcycles and an all-terrain vehicle were impounded.