Big data brings with it big potential problems. For example, when faced with a massive amount of data covering virtually all aspects of your business, the possibilities certainly exist but how do you identify what to look for and how to use those insights? The sheer scale of big data can quickly overwhelm. Fortunately, like all challenges, it is possible to succeed with big data projects and analytics.
Big Data Challenges
What are some of the challenges associated with big data projects? Below are some of the more common challenges:
- Technology - Finding the right business intelligence solution is a challenge in its own right, especially as technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace. Investing in a flexible, innovative solution supported by a committed team can help to ensure that today's technology will deliver the insights you need today as well as in the future.
- Talent - Big data analytics and business intelligence require specific training and skills. In addition to investing in business intelligence solutions, companies need to ensure that they have the talent on board to make sense of all that data.
- Focus - With all that data readily available, it's often hard to figure out what to look for. It's also easy to get distracted as you drill through the data.
- Connectivity - Big data often extends beyond the virtual walls of the enterprise, making it important to be able to connect to external databases as well as to various internal data sources.
- Collaboration - Big data can deliver meaningful insights to each functional department of your organization, making it important to choose a solution that lends itself to a multi-functional environment.
- Security - At the same time, security is always a concern. For example, does the business intelligence solution allow you to assign group and user roles and permissions? How can you assure that only those who need access to sensitive information can access it while protecting that data from others?
Big Data Success Tips
Understanding the challenges involved with big data allows you to address them. Use the tips below for a more successful big data project:
- Invest in the right technology - For example, InetSoft's dashboard and data visualization software solves many of the challenges discussed above. Not only can these tools help users focus on the most relevant data and extract actionable insights, they also are highly secure and allow users to access big data sources such as Cloudera, Hadoop, MapR, and SAP HANA as well as data local to their corporate networks.
- Use existing technologies as needed - You may be able to use existing analytical tools periodically.
- Train your team - Investing in your team is just as important as investing in your business intelligence technology. Many of your team's existing skills will transfer beautifully with a little extra training. If new skills are required, you likely have current team members capable of acquiring them -- and eager to do so. In some cases, it may be necessary to bring in new hires with the right skills. However, they, too, will need training to ensure that they understand your business.
- Make your business objectives clear - In order to mine data, you need to know what you're looking for. Make sure that everyone involved knows exactly what they are looking for.
Big data is challenging, but these challenges can indeed be overcome!