Fashion panels everywhere who take it upon themselves to determine the fashion trends of the moment -- exactly who would that comprise of? perhaps top notch designers such as Marc Jacobs and Raf Simons who revolutionize houses while masterminding eponymous designer labels all their own-- thought the heck with minimalism this summer, it's a trend that needs to take a hike for a season.
Replacing it, they decided to choose the spring/summer as the perfect season since it's a lot easier to say "bold lime green prints and yellow shoes, why not it is the summer after all."
So in comes neon tinted color blocking, colorful grid style dresses that would rival a rubik's cube, and lots and lots of floral prints. There is also the occasional shock print that goes a step above kaleidoscopic (think Peter Pilotto and Mary Katranzou).
And a quick rush of vivid imagery via fashion is now born. We saw it on the spring/summer runways where Prada, Celine, Etro, and Dolce & Gabbana took pleasure in re-aligning and re-defining the trend-- a trend that's been done before and brilliantly so during the 70's and 80's.
Houses wanted to give the trend an updated approach. Utilizing a more artistic spin with a technical composition as oppose to just a random splatter of color.
There are statements to be made, but the overall thought is prints are what's in this season.
You can rock the printed proliferation look with another summer classic: whites. A printed top with white skinny jeans or a white midi skirt, a printed dress with white sandals or heels or a white bag.
And printed accessories with a white dress, it's clear to see we think white makes the perfect style companion for bold prints.
Here are a variety of styles to work into your wardrobe this summer that fit the bill...
1. COS Graphic Silk Print Top $58 cos.com
2. Paul & Joe 'Portika' Printed Crepe Shorts $135 net-a-porter.com
3. Prabal Gurung Mixed Print T-shirt $162 stylebop.com
4. River Island Blue Floral Geometric Print Tube Skirt $44 riverisland.com
5. Longchamp Le Pilage Color Canvas Travel Bag $370 neimanmarcus.com
6. Fair Trade African Print Ruched Skirt $50 fashion-conscience.com
7. Peter Pilotto Dress $1,010 farfetch.com
8. Suno Floral-Print A-line Wrap Skirt $270 modaoperandi.com
9. Sophia Webster for J.Crew 'Lola' Pumps $320 jcrew.com
10. Dorothy Perkins All About Rose $27 dorothyperkins.com