In recent months there has been a lot of discussion about allowing babies, and children to cry it out for various things, including bedtime. Well a study straight out of Harvard shows that allowing babies to cry it out can lead to other dangerous problems, including brain damage in your child.
"Parents should recognize that having their babies cry unnecessarily harms
the baby permanently. It changes the nervous system so they're sensitive to
- Dr. Michael Commons, Dept of Psychiatry, Harvard
What other problems could allowing your baby to cry it out lead to?
- Suffocation can take place such as hyperventilation or choking on vomit.
- The anxiety of crying can get your little one so worked up it causes added stress then the crying turns into the baby looking for help from Mommy or Daddy.
- Brain Damage from the lack of oxygen to the brain.
- The adrenaline and cortisol stress hormones are flooding to the brain, thus leading to neurological effects by the nerves that will not form connections to other nerves and will potentially degenerate.
- Research also shows babies left to cry it out are 10 times more likely to have some form of ADHD.
Take some time to learn more about what allowing your infant to cry it out can cause from Dr. Sears.