When companies are unprofitable and organizations are unproductive, there is normally a deficiency in management. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that our leadership and other leaders of the world are not doing well at managing our nations. Unfortunately, it seems that there is little that we can do about it except exercise our right to vote, and work together to make our local and national governments become more accountable for their actions and more responsible for results. Throughout the history of the world, complaining and criticizing has produced little change, but there is something more that we can do.
We can all choose to criticize those in charge, or we can all choose to take charge of managing our own lives. Working as an organization development consultant, life coach and financial professional with people from NY to LA and around the world, has taught me much. I have learned that about 96% of people do not have a clearly defined life mission, life path and strategy, or financial plan for their lives. Most people admit that they haven’t figured out who or what they want to be when they grow up. Most are not reaching or even passionately pursuing their full life potential. All of this is tragic and senseless. If every one of us has only one chance to make a life, why would anyone of us want to live the way most of us actually do? Maybe it’s time to rethink our lives.
- Taking a vacation without a destination
- Going on a long journey to somewhere you’ve never been before… without a map or GPS
- Running a race … without knowing the course
- Preparing a meal with no ingredients or recipe
- Building a house without a blueprint or plan
- Boarding a plane bound for nowhere
- Living life without a specific purpose
- Living life without clear direction (path)
- Living life without heartfelt values
- Living life without stated and assessed goals and plans
- Living life without a sensible strategy to get where you want to go
- Living life without a sound financial strategy
- Living life without ever reaching your full potential
Wouldn’t that be more like survival than real life? Wouldn’t that be tragic? Why would anyone want to live like that? Even if the majority of people in our world are living like that, there is no reason for us to. Strong and healthy individuals and families make strong nations. Maybe we all need to realize that nation building begins with us – each one of us. I may not be able to change the world, but I can work to change myself. You may not be able to change your country, but you can work to change yourself. If we all changed the way we lived, our nation would change and the world would change. Now imagine something different than what is. Imagine what could be, and go out and make it happen.