Stress is within us, in our everyday dealings with others, in our culture. In an earlier article, I delineated between toxic stress and normal stress.
In any case, there are some measures which may be undertaken to reduce the stress we find in our every day lives. Some of them are:
1. Spend a few minutes each day in meditation. There are any number of ways to meditate. From a saying a mantra to a short ejaculation, meditation may cut our stress. Don't forget to pray as well, as this has stress busting properties.
2. When sitting at a desk for a long period, get up, walk around, or just stand up and take a few deep breaths. This is able to change our mood and fosters a quieter inner life.
3. If possible, get out of doors even if it is just ten minutes on a lunch hour. Changing scenery and getting out of doors is refreshing.
4. Set up an exercise program and get a few minutes, ideally 30-45 minutes per day of aerobic exercise daily.
5. Eat well. Have five to eight servings of fruit and veggies and some good protein every day.
6. Find something to laugh about and laugh at least a few times every day.
7. Do one thing at a time. If answering emails, let the voice mail answer the phone or vice versa. Conduct an interview with out the distraction of phone calls interrupting.
8. When in doubt what to do for stress, have a relaxing cup of green tea. It has plenty of antioxidants and just the time taken to sip the tea can mean a moment of refreshment.
9. Sniff some essential oils such as lavender. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.
All these measures and more may change your stress level and give you just the relaxation your body craves.