Rhubarb is in the stores and with the warm weather last week, we have been baking up a storm. One of the favourites is strawberry rhubarb crumble. Served with some whipped cream or ice cream, it is a tasty treat that is sure to please.
2 ½ cups diced rhubarb
2 ½ cups chopped strawberries
1T lemon juice
½ t cinnamon
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup cold butter cubed plus some for prepping the pan
**NOTE: to make gluten free, use GF oats and Cup4cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a 1.5L casserole dish or deep dish pie plate with butter or spray.
3. Mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Pour filling into prepared dish.
5. For topping, combine oats, flour and brown sugar in a bowl.
6. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.
7. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the filling.
8. Bake in the preheated oven on the middle rack for 35-40 min, or until the fruit is tender.
9. Serve hot or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.