Nuts and fruits are the way to start off a healthy snack. Enjoy the simplicity of a trail mix that doesn’t come out of a cereal box. With a variety of nuts, spices, mangoes, apricots and coconut you can create a snack that has an adult taste while crunching on foods that are good for you. Anyone can open a bag of potato chips but it only takes a little extra time that is worth it to stir together a tasty snack that is sweet, spicy, tangy, crunchy, soft and healthy. Family and friends will asks why the bowl is empty and if there is more hiding away in the kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of salted pistachios
- 2 cups of roasted almonds
- 2 cups of salted cashews
- 2 cups of peanuts
- ½ cup of flaked coconut
- ½ cup of dried mangoes, chopped
- ½ cup of dried apricots, chopped
- Combine the spices and oil together in a medium-sized bowl and place in the microwave, uncovered for 30 seconds.
- Add the nuts and coconut to the spice mixture and stir until all is covered and coated lightly.
- Place the bowl back into the microwave and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture gets a light brown coloring.
- Toss in the mangoes and apricots and spread the mixture out over some waxed or parchment paper to cool completely.
- Once the fruit and nut snack is cooled completely it can be stored in an air-tight container or just start munching.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved