It is no secret there are psychological benefits to looking good on the outside. Study after study has proven a correlation between self-esteem problems and looking good. It is a matter of putting your best foot forward so to speak. Think about how you feel when you leave the salon, or when you put on a new outfit you just bought. Now, compare that feeling to how you feel when you are in your old worn out pajamas and your hair hasn’t been brushed throughout the day.
It goes deeper than just how you feel, but also speaks to how other perceives you and formulate opinions. One of the biggest self-esteem killers is how you think others view you. With spring just around the corner it may be time to throw out the old and bring in some new and give yourself a refreshing new look inside and out. But taking on a new look doesn’t have to cost a fortune, below are some quick ideas to help you spring forward with the year and maybe even give yourself a boost in self-esteem.
- Get a new hairstyle. Try something new, cut your hair shorter or get extensions. Try on a new color or new style cut. Add some highlights to give your face a brighter fresher look. There are so many different possibilities you just need to sit down with a stylist and discuss them. Check out this site and perform a virtual make-over. Bring the style to your local stylist and watch as you transform.
- Donate some of your old clothes. This is a perfect example of throwing out the old and making room for the new (with heart because those you donate to will appreciate the sentiment). If you are not looking to buy a whole new wardrobe simply go slow. Donate a couple of items one week and go shopping the next. Do this over and over and you will find you will have a new rotating wardrobe in no time. You will also discover that donating is good for the heart and soul (not to mention the pocketbook come tax season). Here is the link to the Salvation Army in Colorado Springs to get you started on options.
- Start enjoying the outdoors. Colorado has one of the most amazing outdoor lifestyles a person can ask for. You can go hiking, rafting, biking for intermediate exercise. You can create a garden in your back yard or on your patio for simply exercise and enjoyment. The possibilities are endless and now that spring is here and winter is on its last leg you will be able to enjoy it even more. This helps with a couple things; exercise will increase endorphins which make you feel good and the sun will help with generating vitamin D which fuels the immune system. It will help you will look good, feel great inside and out. Read more about The Garden of the Gods here to give you some exercise ideas.
- Trim down on the fatty foods. Try a little experiment; eat a balanced diet with foods in the raw for a week and see how you feel. Record this feeling daily in a journal and look back daily at the change you will discover. You will find that your body will cleanse itself naturally (making you have more energy), you will begin to feel better, and you will start craving that type of food. If you did it with ease continue on, if not try taking it one step at a time. Go two days on the well balanced diet and the rest of the week eat regularly (recording everything in your journal). The following weeks try the diet three days and the rest of the week, eat regularly. The week after that four and so forth. There have been many studies connecting negative psychological effects on people who eat fatty foods regularly. You may find the pick me up is simply in a new diet. Here is a link to a study details showing the correlation.
- Reward yourself. When you manage to set these goals and achieve them find a reward for yourself. That might be a day at the spa, a weekend out of town with the girlfriends or significant other, or whatever you choose. It doesn’t matter what the reward is, as long as it benefits you and you work for it. Achieving goals and rewarding yourself will help you to feel better about yourself and your accomplishments.
Following these five simple tips will help give you a boost in your self-esteem and your attitude towards spring. Do you have any spring rituals which help you shake off those winter blues? Feel free to leave a comment below with your thoughts.
Subscribe to this column to get reviews, recaps, sneak peeks, and television news sent straight to your inbox. If you enjoyed this review please click the social media links above and to the left to share it with your friends. You can also subscribe to my page on Facebook here. Or join me on Twitter.
As always, thank you for reading, and have a beautiful day~
** Please note: sometimes people suffer from depression or low self- esteem and require more help than their willpower alone. If you are one of those people or know someone who is it might be a good idea to seek professional help.