Michelle Dockery’s celebrity hairstylist, Mara Roszak for L’Oreal Paris, has provided the Hair Care Examiner with a step-by-step guide to the “Downton Abbey” star’s 2013 Emmys red carpet look, which also happens to be one of the hottest hair trends of the year.
If red carpets are any indicator of current hair trends, then the celebrity hairstyles of the 65th Annual Emmy Awards on Sunday evening have shown that the bob is back. Many starlets glammed up this popular hairstyle with finger waves and curls for the ceremony, however Michelle Dockery of “Downton Abbey” wore her short bob with simple sophistication and style.
Celebrity hairstylist, Mara Roszak for L’Oreal Paris, detailed her inspiration for Michelle Dockery’s Emmy look and gave the following step-by-step guide, along with the products she chose, to create the 31-year-old actress’ elegant hairstyle.
Michelle wore a custom made Prada Gown for the 2013 Emmy awards. This dress is the epitome of modern glamour. Its clean lines and jewel tones create a timeless and elegant statement. Inspired by Michelle's Prada gown, I wanted the hair to have a classic, clean feel. The hair trends to come are effortless, yet polished styles, beautiful blowouts that are soft, touchable and have an element of natural ease.
- Step 1: Creating a beautiful, touchable blowout begins with a great moisturizing conditioner. I recommend my clients use L'Oréal Paris Advanced Hair Care Power Moisture Rush Mask before any event.
- Step 2: I prepped Michele's damp hair all over with L'Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Smooth Intense Xtreme Straight Cream. This lightweight cream helps smooth the hair while blowing it out, without weighing it down.
- Step 3: Then, I added a dab of L'Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum to the ends of the hair. Because the ends tend to be the driest, I always like to add a serum to help seal the ends for a healthy, shiny look.
- Step 4: I then parted her hair deep to one side, and blew it dry with a small round brush, keeping volume and movement. The trick to maintaining volume is by starting at the top of the head, and working your way down.
- Step 5: Once Michelle's hair was dry, I applied a dab of L’Oreal Paris EverStyle Texture Series Tousle Cream to the palms of my hands and then gently ran my fingers through her hair. This cream was used to tame any frizz, while adding a bit of definition to her hair.
- Step 6: After that, I tucked Michelle Dockery’s hair behind the ears for a more modern effect, maintaining a soft shape with the hair across her forehead. For added shine, since shine is key on the red carpet, I used L'Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Dry Oil as a finishing mist. Since I like just a mist of shine, I spray from half an arms length away from the hair and allow the product to fall onto the hair.
- Step 7: The final step for any look is Hairspray to ensure the style lasts all though the night…and then some. I used L'Oreal Paris Elnett Extra Strong Hold Unscented Hairspray all over Michelle Dockery’s hair for her 2013 Emmys look. This spray leaves the hair with that soft touchable hold that is key for this style.
©Deirdre Haggerty, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior written permission and consent from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC, DBA Examiner.com. For more celebrity hairstyle how-to guides similar to the above, click subscribe or follow Deirdre on Twitter, like her on Facebook fan page, Ask the Pro, read her blog or email her any comments or questions.