Staying up-to-date with your career and industry is key for building expert authority and strength. By developing expertise in your job and your industry, you'll earn the trust and respect of the people around you. You'll also grow in your job assignment and make better decisions, such as being alert to challenges and opportunities early on, which can give you a competitive advantage and a stronger value proposition. This is especially important if you contribute to the development of your company's strategy. Finally, it will make you aware of potential changes that you need to think about.
The guardian.com writes, according to the 2012 Learning Survey by Niace, the adult learning organization, there's a strong correlation between learning and sustained employment. Staff who undertake learning activities are more able to adapt to the changing requirements of an organization and gain a competitive edge in the job market. Candidates who demonstrate that they're conscientious about their personal development are likely to be seen as highly motivated and engaged. Their openness to learning also suggests they're flexible, adaptable and will bring a continuous improvement ethos to the workplace, all of which is appealing to an employer.
Here are 5 tips from money.usnews.com on staying up to date in your career:
- Be in control-In order to move forward in your career, it is important to recognize you are in control. This means you should manage your own career, because you are creating your future. If you are determined to get ahead in your career, eager to be acknowledged for your dedication, and interested in receiving better opportunities, it is up to you to make a move.
- Make goals-One of the best ways to better your career is to distinguish the goals you want to achieve. These can be short or long term goals. Regardless of whether it is something you want to accomplish today, next month, or in five years, it is important to write them down. It is easier to reach something if you believe it is attainable.
- Update your resume and Linkedin profile regularly-It is so imperative to update your resume and profile on a regular basis. You always want your resume and profile to be current in case an opportunity arises. Another thing to consider is whether or not your resume and profile reflect your personal brand. This is vital because your resume and profile are not only an indication of you as an individual, but also of your career as a whole. (Very important)
- Develop more skills-This goes hand-in-hand with the last secret. While staying up-to-date, it is good to develop the necessary skills for your career. If you stay current, then you will always know if you need to be learning new concepts. This could mean taking a class at a local community college, or even watching tutorials online. Whatever it may be, it is essential you are always educating yourself no matter how old you are.
- Network-This is a secret that should never be forgotten because you always want to be expanding your network. Many communities and cities hold networking events for different industries, so be on the lookout. Remember, 80% or more of your job search should be spent offline. So get off the job boards and get out there.