1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. General Pets

Statewide "pit bull" ban proposal makes Houston and Dallas news

See also

Recent television news reports in Houston and in Dallas both have released reports over the last few days about "Justin's Law," a proposal that would make owning "pit bulls" a third-degree felony in Texas.

Reacting to three dog attacks, two of them fatal, on children in the Tyler area, one in 2009 and two in late-2010, former District Judge Cynthia Stevens Kent has proposed legislation called “Justin’s Law.” Justin’s Law would ban or severely restrict the ownership of “pit bull”-type dogs, and make hundreds of thousands of “pit bull” owners in Texas felons under the Texas Penal Code.

The news stories have given rise to a rumor in cyberspace that the bill is being voted on tomorrow, or imminently, and this is false. Ms. Kent has not found a sponsor for the bill, therefore it has not been introduced and cannot move through the process.

One would think that Texas' huge budget deficit (as high as $25B) and controversies over immigration and redistricting would stop the state legislature from dealing with dog issues. However, a lack of money or time has never stopped lawmakers from filing bills before.

In the last legislative session, 2009, Texas lawmakers filed 7,951 bills (1,726 passed) and yet the perception is that nothing got done (source: Texas Tribune). As of today, there are 818 bills filed in the House and 367 filed in the Senate, and we are just getting started (source: Texas Legislature online general reports).

Link to Justin's Law proposal.

Comments

• Rebecca 3 years ago

Saw you on the news last night! Great job!

• Crystal McNutt 3 years ago

WHAT RIGHT DO THEY THINK THEY HAVE TO SAY WHAT KIND OF DOG WE CAN HAVE THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY......

• bobby 3 years ago

are you kidding me with this!? My part pit Sadie is he most loving dog I've ever had, wouldn't hurt a fly. It's ridiculous to think that a dog is bad just because of it's breed and the fact that some people train them to fight. NOBODY has the right to take her away from me or make me a felon for owning her. ridiculous...

• Cassandra 3 years ago

They can ban them all they want but i will not go by their law. I have 2 pitts and they are my family.

Can this really happen? Can they limit it to breed when this isnt the only mean breed? Is this actually possible please email me someone if u have any more info chasityrma@ymail.com

• cocrem is me 2 years ago

I have a King Cobra snake. He's very friendly and wouldn't harm a fly. I think I will let him play in my back yard. My neighbor keeps his bit bull in the back yard next to mine .. that is except when the pit bull has escaped and is not running loose in the neighborhood. He's only bitten 2-children in their yards. What a nice dog he is. I think I will introduce him to Ruffy my snake. They should make really good friends.

@cocrem is me - What is a "bit bull" ? The mere fact you can't spell or proof read your comment just shows how ignorant you are and quick to jump to conclusions. Just because you have a dog in your neighborhood causing a problem and it happens to be a "pit bull" does not mean the entire breed is a nuisance (or for simple minded people like you - nuisance=problem). Maybe you should put your snake "Ruffy" in the bed with you and get really acquainted. G.F.Y.

Back in the day it was the german shepards that were the aggressive bread, then it was the doberman, the rotts and now the pits and to make a law like this then you need to go back and make everyone a felon that has owned or owns all aggressive breads.