Meditation is more than sitting crossed legged on the floor trying to quiet the troubled mind. Meditation holds many benefits for everyone. Beginning a meditation practice is something that everyone can accomplish if that is your intention.
- improves intuition
- improves creativity
- enhances concentration
- decreases blood pressure
- lowers cholesterol
- reduces the harmful stress hormones
- improves oxygen use of the body
- improves the immune system
- decreases anxiety, depression, and insomnia
How to start a meditation practice:
- begin by setting your intention to start and stay with a meditation practice
- choose a time that is convenient for you
- choose a quiet space
- sit comfortably and wear comfortable clothing
- start slow (begin with a couple of minutes and work your way up)
- take a few deep breaths before starting and then breath naturally during meditation
- pick a focus for your meditation (a phrase, word, candle, picture, or even your breath)
If sitting in silence is not really your thing, there are many wonderful guided meditations that you can choose from. If you would like a great timer for your meditation practice, you can use Insight Timer. There are numerous phone apps for meditation and Omvana is a great one for a beginner.
Just remember to start slow, be easy on yourself, and be as consistent as possible. With consistency you will see much change.
Be sure to watch the video about meditation. Very informative!