Two months prior to planting out doors is the best time to start your tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon along with other veggies or even perreniels inside! Planting inside, ahead of time can give you a great upper hand to incredible plants this spring.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Different types of plants will begin to produce tomatoes at different times of the season. Having a few plants to give you variety will give you tomatos early in the season, mid-season, and toward fall as well.
- Perenniels can be very expesive, starting some from seed or bulb can save you tons of cash.
- Not allowing the plants to dry out completely is key .... set up a tray that your plants sit in to be sure there is always water in the pan.
- Very simple but direct lighting can make all th difference in the world.
- Placing a fan on your plants even for short periods of the day can make it stronger and better able to handle the transplant to out doors.
Planting ahead indoors is a great family project, especially for younger kids or elderly. With the end of winter being at our door step this is a great way for everyone to start looking forward to spring, and saving yourself loads of cash! Keep in mind plants make great gifts as well!