SciFi fans no longer need to duke it out in the "Star Wars" versus "Star Trek" battle. With the announcement of Trek director JJ Abrams being named the new guy guiding the force, that battle seems to be over for now. And to celebrate the excitement of the upcoming movie, a new "Star Wars/ Star Trek" mash-up trailer dropped online on Jan. 26, 2013.
The trailer provides a visual reminder of the movie that brought terms like "May the Force be with you!" into the common vocabulary and set up companies like Industrial Light and Magic to be the go-to firms for creating SciFi movies with fantastical creatures and sympathetic story lines.
The "Star Wars/ Star Trek" trailer opens with scenes from Luke Skywalker's home planet, Tatooine, moving easily into scenes of Imperial Stormtroopers and eventually to the voice of Yoda and the faces of characters like Princess Leia and Han Solo. These scenes are set to the musical theme of "Star Trek: Into Darkness" with the music changing the mood of the trailer as the music moves from a wistful, nostalgic pace to the driving music that one associates with the new Trek villain, John Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch. It adds a new element at the "Star Wars" mythology, the likes of which have never been experienced before.
JJ Abrams will direct "Star Wars: Episode VII." It beams, er, flies into theaters in 2015.
Sources: TheUsualSuspect2011, IMDb
Read more articles about SciFi/ Fantasy movies by clicking on the links in the sentences below:
- Actor Jeremy Renner bewitches viewers in new 'Hansel and Gretel' trailer
- SFX magazine reveals Zachary Quinto as Spock to ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness’ fans
- Young adult fantasy fiction news: 50 new ‘Beautiful Creatures’ photos unveiled
- Star Trek: Into Darkness cast updates--Scary Trek villain overtakes 'Zine cover
- 'Oblivion' movie director talks plot, character in behind-the-trailer commentary
- ‘Hunger Games’ star Jennifer Lawrence will show off funny side on ‘SNL’ (Video)
- 'Twilight' versus 'Hunger Games' mash up Katniss kills Bella, Edward, Jacob
- Cumberbatch not Khan; Star Trek character’s name from early episodes
- Star Trek movie news: Into Darkness trailer starts nostalgic, ends frenetic
- Will and Jaden Smith crash land on a hostile earth in new 'After Earth' trailer
- Tom Cruise sorts through the destruction of earth, rubble in 'Oblivion' trailer
- 'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' movie still released with Katniss and Mags (Video)
- 'Hunger Games' actress Jennifer Lawrence tops Time's Best Performances list 2012 (Video)
- ‘Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ cast tweet ‘last day of filming’ from Hawaii (Video)