Intro: Want some St. Patrick's Day cupcake ideas? Then why not try these cute leprechaun face cupcakes with an easy buttercream icing? If you make these homemade chocolate cupcakes for your kids, you'll leave the frosting plain. Otherwise, if you want more of an adult version of the frosting, then you'll make it with Bailey's Irish Cream ®. Either way, it's delish!
Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
To make this batch of St. Patrick's Day cupcakes, you're going to use my recipe for homemade chocolate cupcakes. I used it to make my end of the rainbow St. Patty's cupcakes. It's very tasty. When you've got the recipe, come back for the easy buttercream icing.
If you want to make the Bailey's Irish Cream ® buttercream icing, go here.
Recipe for Easy Buttercream Icing for the Leprechaun Cupcakes
- 1/2 c. veggie shortening, solid
- 1/2 c. of softened margarine or butter (one stick)
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 c. confectioners sugar, sifted (about one pound)
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- Food coloring
Instructions for the Icing for the St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes
- Beat the butter and the shortening in a bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add in the clear vanilla.
- Little by little add in the sugar. Do this one cup of sugar at a time. Beat the mixture on medium speed. To keep things tidy, you'll want to scrap the sides of the bowl regularly.
- Once this is done and all the sugar has been added, your icing will look dry.
- Add in the milk. Beat the milk into the mixture for the easy buttercream icing, going at medium speed until it's fluffy and light.
- Add in the food coloring to make the leprechaun's face.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth until you're ready for it.
Watch the video tutorial at the top of the screen for more tips on how to make these St. Patrick's Day cupcakes.