How long does it cook a beef brisket? If you are making a corned beef and cabbage dinner for St. Patrick's Day, it can take up to eight hours to cook unless you use a pressure cooker.
This traditional St. Patrick's Day feast is easy to make, but you will need to figure out what size brisket to buy before you can calculate how long to cook it.
To make corned beef, you can boil the brisket, cook it quickly in a pressure cooker, roast it in the oven or slow cook the inexpensive cut of beef in a crock pot.
What size brisket should you buy? If you buy a point cut brisket, you should allow for about one pound per person.
For those who choose to buy the popular flat cut, buy about one-half pound per person and then add an extra half pound to the total.
How long should you cook the brisket when making corned beef and cabbage? If you are short on time, use a pressure cooker. An average size brisket will take about an hour.
Here are some other traditional ways to cook brisket for St. Patrick's Day dinner:
- Boiling: 25 minutes a pound.
- Crockpot: Five to eight hours, depending on the recipe you use and the size of the brisket.
- Oven Baked: Approximately 3 to 4 hours, depending on the thickness of the cut and the weight.
Need a recipe for corned beef and cabbage? Here are several that are easy to make, including recipes from Paula Deen, Alton Brown, and Whole Food.
- Whole Foods Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Paula Deen's Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- Alton Brown's Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Oven Baked Corned Beef Dinner
- Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
More St. Patrick's Day Ideas:
- Keep children busy while you cook with free St. Patrick's Day coloring pages and crafts.
- Need St. Patrick's Day Party ideas? Find great St. Patrick's Day recipes and party ideas on Pinterest
- Send your friends and family a free St. Patrick's Day greeting here.