I love this bread! I need to make it more than once a year, it's so easy. No yeast necessary!
Find everything you need to make it at your local Meijer.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven and a large cast iron skillet to 400°.
- Into a large bowl, sift flour, soda and salt. Make a well. Pour in buttermilk all at once. Mix til dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times, or til smooth. Shape into a round and cut an "x" on the top with a sharp knife.
- Add round to heated skillet and bake about 35 minutes, or til golden brown. Loaf is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Let cool slightly before slicing. Serve with tons of soft butter and enjoy!