I got this letter in my inbox the other day, and the timing couldn't have been better! I had beef stew meat on hand.
Good stuff! I would make this again. It is adapted from My Recipes.
Find everything you need to make it, including the Stout, at your local Meijer.
- olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 t dried thyme, rubbed
- 1 t dried rosemary, rubbed
- 2-3 T flour
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat and add a little oil and the bay leaves. Cook about a minute and then add the meat. Brown the meat over high heat.
- Add the onion, potato and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low; add garlic, thyme, rosemary and flour and stir til smooth. Add the broth and stout; simmer, stirring occasionally, til the beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in parsley and serve.