I've had this recipe for a while, and since cabbage and potatoes are still inexpensive, I decided to use them to make a hearty meal.
For a creamier soup, run a handheld blender around the pot a couple times.
Find everything you need at a great price, at your local Meijer.
- about 2 T butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t dried thyme, rubbed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- about 3 cans vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 head cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook for about 10 minutes, being careful not to brown.
- Stir in thyme and salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and add broth. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes; cover and cook 10 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and bring just to a simmer. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Serve with additional butter if desired.