Intro: Learning how to make cream of asparagus soup allows you to enjoy this popular spring soups recipe anytime you want. Asparagus starts blooming in March, making it an ideal spring vegetable for salads, soups, dinners, including asparagus casseroles and for breakfast. This is one of the easier asparagus soups recipes.
More Asparagus Recipes
Spring Soups: How to Make Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Salt, pepper and white pepper to taste
- 2 lbs of asparagus
- 6 c. of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pint room temp sour cream
- 2 tsp of hot Hungarian paprika to garnish
Instructions for the Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe:
- Cut off the woody ends of the asparagus and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Put a medium-sized saucepan onto heat and melt the butter.
- Put the garlic and onion into the pan and sauté these ingredients together for five minutes.
- Season the dish with the white pepper, the salt and the black pepper to taste.
- Drop in the asparagus and sauté the spring vegetable for four minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and allow the stock to come to a boil. Leave this one for a half an hour until the fresh asparagus becomes very tender. Pull out a few of the asparagus pieces for garnish. A
- Take this off the stove and allow the soup to cool for 10 minutes.
- Put this mixture into a blender and puree the cream of asparagus soup base until it's smooth. Only fill the blender halfway. The steam from the hot soup can cause a back up of heat, which causes the lid to burst off.
- Put it back into the saucepan and add in the sour cream and more spices to taste.
- Garnish the creamy asparagus soup with paprika and asparagus spears and serve.
The asparagus that you use to make your creamy asparagus soups is both a medicinal plant and a delish spring vegetable. It contains folate, which curbs heart disease as well as containing inulin. Our bodies need this to promote the growth of good bacteria in our stomachs.
Sources: Food Network, All Recipes