The warmer breezes of spring are on the horizon, stirring up inspiration for a warm-weather journey — Finally. Jonathan Pogash, The Cocktail Guru, has channeled his wanderlust into a spring cocktail for Sandeman Porto, fusing flavors inspired by travel, near and far to create a dynamic libation.
From the early days of its production, porto has been fortified to decrease the risk of spoilage as it traveled from country to country, crossing bodies of water to quench the thirst of bon vivant imbibers. Says Pogash, “When I think of a transatlantic journey, I think of the ingredients and flavors from the regions visited—porto from Portugal, champagne from France and tequila from Mexico.”
While wine & port cocktails do not fall within my normal taste, this cocktail is perfect for a warm day outside. Further, the Sandeman Porto is delicious and I've been sipping it quite a bit lately; I'll be sad when it's gone. Here's the recipe:
The Transatlantic Fizz
- 2 oz. Sandeman Founder's Reserve Porto
- 1 oz. Avión Blanco tequila
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz. almond syrup
- 1 oz. G.H.MUMM Cordon Rouge
- 2 strawberries, chopped
- Muddle the strawberries in the fresh lime and almond syrup.
- Add the tequila and Sandeman with ice and shake well.
- Strain over ice into highball glass (or other tall glass of choice).
- Top with Champagne and stir briefly.
- Garnish with a Strawberry slice on rim of glass.
- Serve with traditional Portuguese toasted almonds.