Intro: This asparagus pasta with chicken and Parmesan is one of my favorite spring recipes. Asparagus comes into season in March and stays until June. This recipe is simple and delicious and so so easy to make! If you're looking for more pasta recipes with chicken, you'll want to add this one to your recipe box.
If you're viewing this recipe on your SmartPhone, you may find it easier to watch the tutorial video instead of reading the recipe.
Spring Dinner Recipes ~ Asparagus Pasta with Chicken, Parmesan and Romano
Ingredients for the Chicken and Pasta:
- 16-oz pkg penne pasta
- Bunch of asparagus spears.
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 c. of chicken broth
- 1/4 c. of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. of Romano cheese
Instructions for Making the Spring Dinner Recipe:
- Start water to boiling in a large pot. Add salt or garlic salt to the water to help flavor the asparagus pasta with chicken recipe. Cook the pasta for about 10 minutes or until it become al dente.
- Drain the penne in a colander. Put aside
- Trim the asparagus spears. Cut of the ends of the stalks to avoid the "woody" part of the asparagus. You'll have to cut off about an inch for the best results.
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Cut on the diagonal.
- Slice the clove of garlic. Make sure you cut in thin slices.
- Put the garlic and the asparagus aside.
- Cut chicken into cubes.
- Warm the olive oil in a skill. Put it on high.
- Line a plate with a paper towel.
- Put the chicken pieces into the skillet.
- Season the chicken for the asparagus pasta with chicken recipe. Add at least salt and pepper. I prefer a lot of garlic, so either add garlic powder or more of the fresh cut garlic cloves.
- Cook the chicken until it turns a light brown. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken on the plate with the paper towel.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Scrape the bottom for brown bits.
- Add in the asparagus and the garlic clove slices.
- Saute this.
- Season the veggies for the chicken and pasta recipe.
- Cover the pan. Allow the asparagus to steam. You can cook it this way for up to 10 minutes.
- Add in the pasta, allowing the noodles to heat up.
- Add in the chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pasta. (This is in addition to the olive oil you cooked with.)
- Sprinkle with the cheeses. If you're like me, you'll probably want more than one-quarter cup of Parmesan and Romano for this spring vegetable recipe.
- Stir until all the ingredients are covered with the cheese.
- Garnish with more grated cheeses.
- Serve the asparagus chicken pasta.
Asparagus is loaded with plenty of good stuff. Making spring recipes with this veggie gives your body B2 and B6 vitamins plus vitamin C. It also has protein and cellulose and helps the body with digestion.
Al dente means that something is "firm to the bit," according to Wikipedia. That means the pasta should not be soft and mushy.