May 04, 2014. The weather is gorgeous: sunny with a light wind. In the backyard, you can see wonderful weeds of all size and color. A special one is of the Lamiaceae family.
Lamium species are weeds. These edible plants, rich in antioxidants, have been known since Dioscorides for their beneficial effects on humans.
Lamium purpureum and Lamium album.
Deadnettle is the common name because they don’t carry stinging nettle like the Urtica dioica specie. White or purple deadnettles are two weed’s species found in gardens, farms and roadsides. White deadnettle is often consumed during famine as alternative nourishment in China, Europe and Japan.
Today, many countries eat the delicacy raw or cooked. The young shoots, leaves and flower are added to specific local dishes. It is the case through the Mediterranean areas and Japan.
Lamium album is well known among folk medicine. Today, the phenolic compounds have been analyzed and reinforce the multiple beneficial pharmacological effects of the weed.
A Few of their healthy attributes are
- Detoxification of the organism.
- Metabolization of fat therefore losing weight.
- Prevention of anemia from various origins.
- Inhibition of menstrual disorders.
- Reduction of arthritis, join’s pain, gout and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Anti-inflammatory agent.
- Protection of the immune system.
- Anti-cancer agent.
- Anti-bacterial and viral properties.
Visit a licensed naturopath prior adding herbs to your daily routine.