Learn how to cook exquisite Indian cuisine at Kalachandji’s, located near Samuell Park in Dallas. The cooking classes, taught by Master Chef Manjuali Devi, start Thursday, March 24, 2011 and continue weekly through May 12. For a list of the wide variety of vegetarian and vegan Indian dishes covered, see below.
Kalachandji’s is not only the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Dallas. Kalachandji’s is one of the finest Indian restaurants in the Metroplex with a legion of devoted patrons drawn from both the vegetarian and decidedly carnivorous demographics. If you have ever wanted to learn more about Indian cuisine, or would like to include more healthy vegetarian and vegan options in your home cooking, now is the perfect opportunity.
Cooking classes will be held in Kalachandji’s Community Hall from 7 pm to 9 pm on Thursdays. The classes are an excellent value at $150 for all 8 sessions. If you cannot commit to the entire Spring Session, don't worry: you can attend single cooking classes for a mere $25.
Kalachandji's course outline offers an interesting and varied selection of Indian dishes:
- March 24th: Panir Dil Bahar (panir stir-fry), Five Grain Paratha (flatbread), Mint Raita (yogurt salad), and Date-Walnut Halva (dessert)
- March 31st: Sambhar (soup), Rice Dosa (crepe), Potato-Coconut Sabji, and Red Chili-Mustard- Coconut Chutney
- April 7th: Bengali Dal (soup), Soy Nugget Curry, Bengali Spinach Sabji, and Basmati Ghee Rice
- April 14th: Panir Kadhaiwala (panir curry), Pachadi (mixed vegetables in yogurt sauce), Aloo Paratha (potato-stuffed flatbread), and Orange-Mint Drink
- April 21st: Mung Bean Soup, Spinach Filo, Vegetable Pulao (rice dish), and Cinnamon-Raisin Bread
- April 28th: Vegetable Kurma (vegetables in coconut gravy), Kabuli Chana (garbanzo curry), Chapati (wheat flatbread), and Mango Khir (sweet rice)
- May 5th: Mung Dal Dosa (crepe), Dahi Wada (dal cakes in yogurt), Cilantro-Tomato Chutney, and Tamarind Chutney
- May 12th: Sesame Potato Sabji, Cauliflower Paratha (stuffed flatbread), Energy Salad, and Sweet Lassi (yogurt drink)
Kalachandji’s is located at 5430 Gurley Ave., Dallas, Texas 75223. More information about their Spring Session of Indian cooking classses is available at Kalachandjis.com.