I came up with this recipe to use up many veggies I had on hand.
Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices. I was in the mood for something really simple, so just used bay leaves.
Find everything you need to make this at your local Meijer.
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- handful baby carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- about 4 cups chicken broth (or use veggie)
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Saute onion, carrot and celery about 5 minutes, or til softened. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium low heat 45 minutes or til barley is tender. Remove bay leaves.
- I served the soup with buttered buttermilk cornbread.