Hummus is a popular food throughout the Middle East and Greece.
Traditionally, hummus is a spread or dip made of chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), salt, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. There can be variations of hummus with additions of roasted red peppers, pine nuts, spicy peppers, extra garlic or lemon juice, and many more.
What is so great about hummus?
- The flavor is amazing
- It’s made from healthy fat from the olive oil and tahini
- It’s filling due to its protein and fiber content from the chickpeas
- It is incredibly universal
- Hummus is high in iron and vitamin C, and also has significant amounts of folate and vitamin B6
Here are my favorite ways to enjoy hummus:
- As a spread on a sandwich because if you substitute hummus for mayo you will 60-80 calories per tablespoon!
- As a dip for vegetables, crackers or pita
- Spread on a pita and serve with tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese