Meditation is defined as engaging in contemplation and reflection. When we meditate, we are engaging in a mental exercise for the purpose of reaching a heightened level of spiritual awareness. According to Psychology Today, when we meditate we are shifting our brain activity form the right frontal cortex to the left frontal cortex, thus decreasing the effects of stress, depression, and anxiety.
What are the benefits of meditation?
Meditation has a range of spiritual, mental, physical, and physiological benefits. Meditation calms therestless mind, decreases the number of distracting thoughts, thus bringing you inner peace and relaxation.
Examples of the benefits of meditation include:
1. Brings the mind, body, and soul in harmony.
2. Those that meditate obtain a deeper level of spiritual relaxation.
3. Gives peace of mind
4. Increases emotional stability and improves mood and behavior.
5. Those who meditate enjoy increased energy.
6. Decreased muscle tension and helps with headaches.
7. In women, meditation helps relieve PMS symptoms.
8. Meditation reduces anxiety levels.
9. By meditating, we lower our stress level that in turn lower our risk of heart disease.
10. Meditation also increases concentration and creativity.
Meditation can be a very useful tool that helps to calm our minds and creates an inner peace that has many benefits. With practice, you will notice that your mind is sharper and your ability to concentrate will be greatly improved.
If you suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, are severely depressed, or have another psychotic illness, please discuss meditation with your doctor before you begin as there have been studies showing patients with these illnesses may get worse after meditating over a period of time.