• 1 cup canned chickpeas (rinsed)
• 1/2 cup dry brown rice
• 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
• 2 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 cup diced red pepper
• 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup diced red onion
• 1 small carrot, grated
• 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
• 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
• 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, or more as needed
• 2-3 tbsp ground flax
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• Fine grain sea salt, to taste starting with 1 tsp
1. Chop vegetables. Finely chop the garlic, peppers, onion, and parsley. Grate carrot. Stir in half the salt. Set aside.
2. Mash chickpeas and rice: Add the chickpeas and rice into a large bowl. Make sure your rice is HOT as it helps it stick together and bind. Do not use cold rice. With a potato masher, mash very well, leaving some chunks for texture. You will need to use a lot of elbow grease to mash this up, but you want it really sticky so it’s worth it! You can also pulse in a food processor.
3.Mix it all up: Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in the chopped vegetables into the mashed chickpea/rice mixture. Now stir in the seeds, BBQ sauce, breadcrumbs, and ground flax. Add the salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
4.Shape patties & cook: Form 6-8 patties and pack dough together tightly. Spray the preheated skillet with oil. Cook the patties for about 4-5 minutes per side over medium-high heat (time will vary based on your temp). Burgers should be browned and firm when ready.
Recipe courtesy of Oh She Glows