Spiced poached pears make a nice treat after dinner. They're sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and light enough to not make you uncomfortably full after a big meal. (I know. That never happens.) This easy poached pears recipe relies on just a few simple ingredients to give it its excellent flavor. You start with the freshest pears and then flavor them with just a bit of grape juice and cinnamon sticks to get just the right spicy nip. Eat them plain or add a dollop of whipped cream to make this a complete poached pears dessert.
Spiced poached pears recipe with grape juice and cinnamon
- 1½ c. grape juice (best if made with Concord grapes)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 orange rind strips
- 4 peeled pears (leave the stems on)
- Add the grape juice, orange rind, and cinnamon sticks to a medium sauce pan. Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Place the pears upright in the sauce pan (so that they look like they're standing in it) and let them simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Occasionally, bathe the pears in the juice from the pan as they simmer. Once the simmering is done, take the pears off the stove and allow them to cool.
- Let the sauce boil down until you have about 1/3 of a cup.
- Drizzle the sauce over the pears and then chill them.
- Serve them with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for color.