Cooking the pears before infusing in vodka brings out their flavorful best. Be sure to use an inexpensive vodka as the flavor of the pears will dominate. This infused vodka makes a delicious homemade holiday gift.
3 large ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick broken into several pieces
1 vanilla bean
2 cups vodka
- Put pears, sugar, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean into large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until pears begin to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Cool, pour into large jar.
- Pour in vodka, stir to combine.
- Let rest 5 - 7 days, stirring daily.
- Pour through a fine strainer, discard solids.
- Return infused vodka to clean jar, be sure to label.
- Keep at room temperature.
- Serve chilled, over ice.